PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 18:58
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcjeant
Hi,

The BEA note:

I don't know (or on what they base their feeling) why many people think the pilot perpetuated command to climb ... as the BEA note is clear about ...

The airplane’s angle of attack increased progressively beyond 10 degrees and the plane started
to climb. The PF made nose-down control inputs and alternately left and right roll inputs
BTW .. exactly like the Perpignan pilote made.
You need to read the english more carefully (and that might not be easy for non-natvie speakers, not sure I could read the French exactly right).
BEA haven't helped by releasing this as a narrative rather than a simple time-line - but then it isn't an investigative report, it's a press release designed to shut up the distressing (for some, I'm sure) media speculation. To be fair, it has largely succeeded in that.

Leaving out the other stuff, the sequence of pilot input and plane response reads like this:
  • PF left nose-up input
  • ptich increases, plane starts to climb
  • vertical speed reaches 7000fpm
  • PF makes nose-down inputs
  • vertical speed reduces
The 7000fpm figure appears after the nose-down input in the text, but is qualified with "which had reached", meaning that figure being already reached at the time of the nose-down input.

This timeline is why "people think the pilot perpetuated command to climb" - because there is no indication of anything else, and when the pilot input went nose down the plane responded.