PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 18:42
FA10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sidestick vs control column

...And you certainly do not continue pulling...
Lots of theories here about the chances to recover from a deep stall.

However it took quite some time to get the Bus INTO that condition, with obviously a lot of confusion going on (climb 3000ft without noticing?).

If the PF on a machine with conventional control column starts to pull when the A/C is already in a stall condition, the second set of eyes on the flight deck will most likely immediately realise the mistake, he will shout, take control, assist,... at least do something useful.

When the PF of an AB type fiddles around with his sidestick, the PNF obviously has only very limited information about what his colleague is doing.

Especially in a high-tension situation, where you find yourself in the middle of a CB, a moving column in front of myself pleases me much more than a frozen sidestick, that does not reflect the inputs of the PF.

I suppose that endless believe in the ability of the flying computer to cope with all posible scenarios and elliminating one of the principals: Keeping the crew in the loop proved to be one of the main killers...

I guess before Airbus there were not many stick-piloted aircraft with 2 crew (from PZL´s Blanik till Rockwell´s famous glider) that did not give the second crew member a feedback on his stick from the inputs of the other pilot!