PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding package aimed at PPLs
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 15:14
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not much prospect I fear.

Hi ProfChrisReed,

I started my flying career with a BGA 'B' Certificate, but then moved on to power flying very many years ago.

Personally, I feel that trying to estimate a price to solo is financially hazardous. You could lose a good deal of money that way, especially if it is based on weekend flying. Selling summer gliding taster courses specifically for PPLs and NPPLs might just work.

However, you haven't made clear what your end objective is.

Are you perhaps seeking a new revenue stream for the gliding club by getting PPLs to do gliding as well as power flying? In that case I think you may be disappointed. Most PPLs and NPPLs do about 10 or 15 hrs a year, because that's all they can afford. I can't see them forking out extra for gliding.

Are you hoping to obtain an influx of experienced pilots into gliding that will quickly train up to become potential competition competitors for your club? Personally, I can't see this working either. Most PPLs and NPPLs are used to doing a flight plan and getting going. They might find a taster couse interesting, but I can't see many of them actually taking to gliding on a regular basis.

One thing you may expect is that of those who come to try gliding, there will be at least a few who will not really be interested in gliding at all and will really have their eyes on flying the tug aircraft to build hours for their CPLs. In my experience most gliding clubs already have a surfeit of budding tug pilots and don't want any more.

I would suggest that you run one or two taster courses for PPLs and NPPLs and use this as an opportunity to speak to course participants and see what motivates them.

Regards,

BP.