PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Speed Climb
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 14:32
Crazy Voyager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now you may ignore this post if you'd like, as you seem to have got the answer you wanted. I just want to (if I may borrow your topic a bit ) dig a bit deeper in the physics behind this.

Now if I remember physics correctly, the air resistance against a surface increases with the square of the speed. So in other words twice the speed=four times the resisting force (can anyone who've studied some physics confirm this?).

If so, then a higher speed means more resistance=more power required to maintain airspeed (this is esspecially true at low altitudes where the air is more dense).

So what I'm trying to say is that a high IAS climb should result in a lower climb rate throughout the climb.

Initially rate is reduced while IAS is increased.

After IAS is at desired number, energy will be used to climb (increasing pitch angel).

But the engines are using more power to keep the speed up now than before, therefore the climb rate will be lower.

If I'm correct in my assumptions this should mean that the highest rate of climb is reached when you climb at minimum clean speed. This would mean minimum amount of resistance from the air and maximum amount of energy used to climb.

Am I making any sense?