PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR renewal while on job seekers,help!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 12:30
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, lets be blunt.

Unless you have a generous friend or relative, the timescale is unrealistic.

Renewing these ratings, running a Mercedes, having an expensive hobby. They are all unaffordable on any form of unemployment benefit, because the benefit is only intended to address basic living costs.

The short term answer would appear to involve finding a job that pays you more than state benefits will. This will obviously provide additional income as well as a platform for a possible credit line from banks.

Your location is given as Bournemouth, which is not a notorious unemployment black spot. There should be paid work available. I know more than a few pilots who have had to take temporary or seasonal jobs (in Tesco, M&S, etc.) in order to survive through the difficult times.

I am afraid that these businesses are not charities, and no one is going to give you something for nothing. Not flying schools, not BALPA, and certainly not the banks.

You are not alone in this predicament, and yes "life is complicated," but the harsh truth is, that you need a better awareness of your situation. That clearly involves raising your monthy income, and in turn that will involve finding a job that will help in providing the solution, rather than relying on the state benefits that quite simply will not.

Finally, I would say that stopping a rating from lapsing, is nowhere near as important as keeping body and soul together. Obviously it is a setback and disappointing, but it is a problem that can be overcome later on. You are most certainly not the only person in this position. Sometimes it is very hard, but you need to stop and re-prioritize. Get the motivation back, and work your way back towards the goals.