PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 06:43
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
I trust that you may find this explanation more plausible than an a/c fault (for which there is no evidence and in an a/c type that has completed so many hours successfully)

Remind us how many Chinook losses the Inspector of Flight Safety stated had been attributed solely to airworthiness failings. That doesn’t mean ZD576 was lost to such failings, but it introduces doubt where MoD says absolutely no doubt exists.

As I’ve said before, I don’t doubt your scenario is feasible; but I’ve also pointed out SFI(RAF)/Chinook 12, Issue 1 (Restrictive) – Chinook HC Mk2 Undemanded Flight Control Movement, dated 28th February 1994.
There have been a number of incidents…. during flight trials. The characteristic is manifested by very sharp uncommanded inputs to the yaw axis which result in a rapid 3-4 degree change in aircraft heading, in both hover and when in forward flight, when the aircraft is subject to high levels of vibration. …The Aircraft is to be landed as soon as practicable.

The Odiham test pilot has stated this SFI was not promulgated and he never saw it while serving; although of course he had reported the problem. You will recall MoD dismissed his evidence. He also confirms that, when this occurred to the Aldergrove aircraft shortly after the crash, and he flew across to conduct a check flight, the pilots involved had never seen the SFI.

Doubt again. And very serious systemic failures.