PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The eager beaver pilot
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 02:08
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul, I recommend that you consider a range of different viewpoints.
Allocating labels to people, i.e. ‘bad’, indicates closure of thought or inability / reluctance to think about the situation which could contribute to the individual's behaviour. In the extreme your view or attitude could have precipitated the ‘bad’ behaviour.

Is ‘bad’ only bad in your view, or are there other reasons for what is perceived. Doses a ‘mildly annoying’ FO / Capt (to you) appreciate that s/he is causing concern, and if given opportunity to explain, what is his/her view of you, or the reasons for ‘poor’ interactive behaviour?
Without discussion or at least thoughtful observation and reasoning, we often end up with single channelled opinion, which in aviation safety related situations is not very helpful.

Consider the other persons point of view. Perhaps the other person’s training and experience are such that s/he is still in educational acquisition mode – they just don’t know, thus they seek more information. Some unfortunately might couch their question as a challenge due to weaknesses in CRM training or understanding of its application, for others it might represent embarrassment, or indicate aspects of personality. This can apply to Capts as well as FOs.

This is an important and apparently emergent subject for aviation. It’s useful to discuss the issues around it to widen our understanding, but this requires an open and thoughtful mind.

If you have relevant research, then please share it so that we all might learn.

My very limited experience was as a direct command captain after a career of single ‘pilot’ military operations; I am thankful for the few civilian co-captains who crewed with me and took time to explain some of the fundamentals.

Me an eager beaver? Yes, very much so, but the vast majority of the questioning occurs within the thought processes before considering open communication.