PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OzRunways 2.whoa!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 00:50
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew from Mildura yesterday with Ozrunways 2 on an iPad2. It lost GPS a bit further than Ouyen and didn't regain it until past Bendigo on the way to Melbourne. The programme seems to have a dead reckoning feature, because the aircraft symbol kept tracking (erratically) for a while after the GPS signal was lost and a track & ground speed continued to be displayed long after signal was lost. Its the first time I've used it and I'm not fluent with it yet, but it doesn't appear that there is any indication of GPS integrity. I think this is poisonous. The other thing that bothers me is that despite having loaded the VIC ERC chart on the ground the night before (which I thought saved it locally), I could not access it in flight. The iPad was clearly looking to download it but couldn't due to lack of reception. This is probably operator error, but it turns the iPad into the usefulness of a brick if you slip up.

I had Jepp FliteDeck running beside the iPad on my LS800 and (at least from an IFR perspective) its seems more stable and changes pages / setup faster & more simply with a clear GPS integrity indication and greater setup flexibility. But its not a VFR device in any way.

Having said that, Ozrunways seems a useful VFR device. In my opinion it requires an external bluetooth GPS. If that GPS had a signal monitoring function it would address the bulk of my concerns.