PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding package aimed at PPLs
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2011, 22:42
The500man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a power pilot that has been "thinking about gliding" for a while now but has yet to have a go I'll be interested to see what you can come up with.

I've shelved the idea for the moment and started flying aerobatics on a Pitts which is using up most of my spare cash so gliding will have to wait.

I had envisaged flight without an engine as being quite cheap, but having done a little research it isn't as cheap as I had expected. I've also discovered gliding clubs without low level Class A over them are a few hours drive away from me.

I've no idea what is involved with gliding but it does sound like there is alot of standing about pulling gliders around, among other odd jobs. My impression is that gliding isn't for someone that wants to turn up and spend a few hours in the air before going home again, which means it could be a bit too much of a commitment for people on a tight schedule.

• Something more than driving a cramped, noisy flying car to the next burger
  • Exposure to aerobatics
I don't agree with this in the slightest. There are plenty of powered aircraft that are fun to fly and do more than a burger run. In my opinion the unadventurous lot that only fly basic "noisy flying cars" need a kick up the back side!

• More sociable environment on the ground (perhaps)
Most flying clubs I've visited tend to be full of "old folk". Is this not the case in gliding?

Last edited by The500man; 16th Jun 2011 at 08:56.