PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female pilot advice!
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2011, 20:49
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll find no barriers to success in aviation because of gender.

One of the few sources of employment for inexperienced commercially qualified pilots in the current recession is a certain low cost operator. They have an equal opportunities recuitment policy. Yet you'll see very few female pilots on their flightdecks. Read into that what you will.

As for what M1ghtyDuck says about age, I think that is only partially true. I started my training at the age of 30. I know a few guys who were in their early thirties, and another chap who was closer to 40. All are flying jets as their first jobs.

But recruits at the same low cost operator which definitely does not discriminate against women are predominantly lads in their early twenties. This is all hearsay, of course. Getting a jet job at 250 hours depends on luck and having the right personal characteristics.

But any person who has the aptitude, dedication and resources (financial and emotional) will eventually get a commercial flying job. I strongly believe that.

But you must consider the unsavoury fact that it could take 10 years to get into the pilot's seat of a commercial aircraft, and by that time terms and conditions relating to that job will be no more attractive than those offered to taxi drivers.

Only start commercial flight training after exhaustive research and then only if your love for flying will sustain you in the hard times.

G'luck.