PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where is Mr Guppy these days?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2011, 15:30
V1... Ooops

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IO540
I think it was his constantly aggressive posting style and attacks on others that did it.
I'm kind of late to this thread (having just noticed it), but would like to express my support for the Pprune moderators if, in fact, Guppy got banned (temporarily or permanently) for "...aggressive posting style and attacks on others..."

Regardless of the level of knowledge of a forum participant, and regardless of how much an individual has to offer others in the way of knowledge, facts, etc., the number 1 rule of any internet discussion forum must be "be polite" and "respect - or at the very least, accept - the contrary views of others".

If a forum member is unwilling to 'play nicely with others', then the moderators have no option but to take action to encourage that forum member to be civil and polite. If they don't do that, then the atmosphere of the forum will be poisoned, and many other (equally valued) forum participants will quietly leave and not come back.

I have read Guppy's posts in the past, and occasionally participated in discussions with him. I do agree that he often had worthwhile and interesting things to say, but unfortunately that was often overshadowed by his combatitive and confrontational demeanor.

I think we owe the Pprune moderators - all of whom are volunteers - the benefit of the doubt on this issue.