PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2011, 14:28
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The "G" theory

I wouldn't take this as read, but here's an interesting post from someone purporting to be a former A330 pilot on another forum. (emphasis mine)

Ok, as the aircraft decelerates from say, 250 knots to 210 knots from a level flight with no bank, the aircraft starts with a given pitch of x, and a 1G corrected for pitch. As the aircraft decelerates, the full deflection of the sidestick (which should normally give you a load factor of +2.5G) will not be able to provide you such G load. So, as the speed decreases, the command is no longer neutral stick=1G, but it become neutral stick=0 pitch rate. This means that you start having a ever so slight change in V/S. It is almost not noticeable, and as a matter of fact, most pilots new to Airbus may not even notice that they are slowly correcting the pitch to maintain level flight (they just actually do it without noticing because it is intuitive for a pilot to do this as an aircraft decelerates in level flight, and in the airbus this corrections are very minute compared to a conventional aircraft). Yes, techinally you wouldn't be maintaining exactly 1G, as an increase in V/S (decent) would translate to a change from 1G to something less than 1G (almost negligible in my humble opinion). Sorry for the confusion. The bottom line is the aircraft will switch from G-factor command with the sidestick deflection to pitch-rate command with the sidestick deflection as speed reduces.
There's some other interesting stuff there, link below.

Air France 447 - On topic only! - Page 60 - JetPhotos.Net Forums - The Friendly Way to Fly