PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rockport Walk
Thread: Rockport Walk
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2011, 14:26
sooms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I went to do a rockport walk practice after just getting signed off after 18 months on a temporary MES.

1. Turned up at the gym at 1300 along with 11 others to do the practice.
2. At 1320 we were on the astro turf trying to get the heart rate monitors to work. In the end 7 appeared to be working so 7 set off- the other 5 (me included) then spent another 15 minutes randomly swapping monitors/ watch things to try and get a heart rate.
3. 1 of the 5 managed to get a heart rate although it showed either 211 or 0.
4. After the other 7 had finished, then spent another 15 minutes trying to get a monitor to work from those who had finished- unsucessful.
5. Retired to the gym to continue trying to get one to work.
6. An apologetic Cpl PTI attempts to get some working- unsucessful. Cpl PTI states that out of the 7 who managed the test he considered 3 results to be accurate.
7. Gave up and went back to work.

Result: I now have absolutely no faith in the accuracy of the test equipment- even if you get one that works at the start of the test is it going to accurately monitor your heart rate for the whole test?
From the comments of the PTI they obviously have no confidence in it either.

In 29 years in the service I have rarely witnessed anything as shambolic and flawed, yet the results of this test are affecting peoples (and their famillies) lives and careers. Is anybody doing anything about it?