PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2011, 13:50
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suppose an APU turbine with afterburner; Suppose itīs nozzle pointed 45° down.

How many pounds of thrust you typically need to "restore pitch" in order to start flying again in this class of a/c? To "restore a decent AoA"

A drag chute is unthinkable in an airliner. An special APU may save?
I suppose the lack of additional information leads to idle minds wandering off into "la-la land"... the idea of something as dangerous as an afterburner equipped APU with a nozzle at 45 degrees down, well, let's just say I have horrible visions of aircraft tumbling end-over-end due to inadvertent engagement. Assuming such a monstrosity were fitted (and at what cost), how often would this find any application and how well might it function?

Personally, I suspect the great cost of the extra training such a dangerous devices would require, would be far better spent on upset training, either by putting regular line-pilots into a glider or acrobatic aircraft for 4+ hours a year (pick a number), or funding enhanced simulator development to include the extended stall regimes (and before the masses jump down my throat read this -> http://www.idt-engineering.com/image...an_25JUL09.pdf ).