PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Harriers to be sold to US Marines for £34M - Telegraph
Old 15th Jun 2011, 12:49
Monty77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAINJAFAD

Begged borrowed and stole? I admire the USA and have found all the Americans I have met (mostly mil) to have been respectful and courteous. I am a fan. If I could get a Green Card, I would go there tomorrow and eventually retire. Nowhere is perfect, but America is the world's 'go to' country for most of the world. But. Despite all the guff about 'special relationships', the US will usually act in it's own interests. Lend/Lease during WW2 crippled the UK financially. We were not perfect, but lack of US support in the Suez led to humiliating climbdowns for France, UK and Israel. France took a more independent stance to the US after that, and it may have contributed to UK's refusal (despite US pressure) to get involved in Vietnam. The Americans took the cream of German rocket scientists after WW2 and would not share research with UK. Which is why today Trident is not UK designed and built. So I don't think you can say it's all one-way traffic. When politically expedient, the special relationship is trotted out, usually by the Brits. When sh*t comes to shove, Uncle Sam will do what's best for him. Don't start me on Frank Whittle. That apart, I shall continue to enjoy as many holidays as possible in the United States. When you have surfing, skiing, desert, mountains, cities, vast wilderness and pretty much anything else, I can understand why most Americans don't feel the need for a passport. In Europe's defence, it is compact, the cathedrals are pretty, it's expensive and the waiters are spectacularly rude. Amen.