PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Will work for free'
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2002, 16:11
AMEX

FS2002

Just to go back to the original thread, what is your feeling about working for free.
The type rating is another issue and certainly a very passionate one too.

As for thos who think along not following:

from Atropos
To anyone lecturing us about not looking after ourselves, you were either sponsored or had a rich daddy to look after you
or From [b]Aftcofg[b]
The older wiser guys out there that can look back on there career and the industry and its demise, I really to understand your point of view but what choice to low hours guys have
Believe you me, it isn't necessarily the case.

I am not old, not wise, sponsored or with a rich daddy. As for ground jobs and stuffs, i have done it too and I know how lucky i am to have landed a first job which gave me a first break.
But then again instead of moaning about the lack of opportunities for low timers, I got off my bum and went to fetch one far, far away. I would have gone even further if i had too because I really believed I too could fly for a living.

The problem in our industry ins't the lack of jobs (well it is a bit) but a deeper one. In our modern days, everything must happen quickly with the minimum amount of hassle. If it doesn't we either give up, throw our toys out the cot or blame it on "this is the real world".
Sorry but I don't see it that way. The world (or our industry for that matter) is what we make of it. A bit like the Unions. They are only as good as their members.
I am glad, I had never had to work for free but then again whether it was in my gliding days or nowadays, I have always done my best and better. People have acknowledged it and rewarded me with their respect and recognition as a true pro.

I am also glad i don't share some of the above contributors point of view because thanks to that, I have made some really good contacts in the industry which in their own time, will come useful.
Not just for me but for all those I know because I now have a certain knowledge, network (albeit small compared to others) but I am also deemed reliable.
All this flying for free nonsense I never had to do it because noone has ever treated me with that much disrespect.

I maybe be sounding like a dinausor (not a T Rex for nothing) but so far I haven't been proved wrong.
Never ever it has been easy to get a decent job as a pilot. This is not new so get on with it and stop blaming the entire world for it.
Do something about it !!

Listening to some of the comments on this, now diverted thread, I could feel isolated and not living in the so called "real world" but fortunately I have met people who think alike. The kind of people who do the Hire and fire, so as long as they exist, no way I m going to change (famous last words when you tell your mates you are going to get married)

Since it is down to the individual rather than a law project decided here and now on pprune, I will keep rather quiet. For those who agree and those wo disagree, good luck and see you at the bash. There you wil be able to
-get me a beer
-pour your beer on my head

but as long as it is a Guinnness I don't care