PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2011, 21:47
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tek(tronix) TDR and edge connectors characterization

syseng68k,

A little bit more off topic just to answer you: My motivation at that time in this issue was very high for several important reasons. Most of other engineers were "bit minded" and i realized they were designing complex circuitry with no analog background specially in areas like EMI, RFI, etc. I started my career dealing with RF (NDB´s, HF vacuum tube transmitters from PAA, etc) and i was concerned on signal degradation in their digital design of the SPC switching exchange, a very fascinating challenge for all of us. I went to the lab and dive "doing the necessary" to characterize the backplanes, connectors, etc. Was a memorizing experience. I found details (using the Tek TDR) and geometric "why´s" of "N" type connector being better than a BNC or PL259/SO239. I bring to the lab, war surplus components, from Collins radio gear, etc. from old birds. After the lab days (and nights ) i was able to tell them what was better in their connections, etc.

Well, thanks for the link. For one addicted with K.I.S.S. design rules you can imagine how i feel with the complex (sometimes with K.I.C.S. behavior ) "Advanced Systems". Probably from "trauma" after working with "testability",

Regards and glad to hear from series 7000 and the fantastic plugins. At this time i had all HP, Tek (and few other companies) model numbers in my mind. Better than their salesmen had, just because i was using all the equipt´s (and they were just selling)

I made all possible Z matching and a lot of combinations to leave the lab able to answer any question

Last edited by RR_NDB; 15th Jun 2011 at 02:58.