PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA screws the use of GPS approaches
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2011, 15:28
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
FlyingStone - yes I meant the DA20, but I disagree with you about payloads. Take for example a Grumman AA5: IMC capable, MTOW 998kg, typical empty weight about 670kg - that's 1/3rd payload. (Strangely my 1947 4 seat taildragger which has been happily doing long trips for 64 years quite safely is rather better than that, but I'll work with the Grumman as an example.)

So, at 750kg, using the same fraction, that gives 250kg useable payload. Bang on 2x90kg plus 100 litres, or 5+ hours (with a modern engine such as the 912), of fuel.

For that matter, shave 8kg off the MTOW of a Cessna 152 and you have an IMC/night capable aeroplane that falls into the VLA category, with an exemplary safety record, and 260kg useable payload.

So, sorry, I just don't agree. VLA weight limits are quite capable of delivering safe and capable aeroplanes.

But on the other hand I do agree with you, a VLA+night+IMC code already exists in the USA, could easily exist here, and it is nothing but a bureaucratic piece of sillyness that stops that being validated and used here in a Euro-version.

A general question by the way, one can wade through the AIP of course, but does anybody know of a single list of UK airports with GNSS approaches?

G