PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2011, 12:29
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Chris Scott, Lonewolf_50,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify my paraphrasing, though I think that the spirit of what I'm saying (that you don't get 13 degrees of THS nose-up trim unless you do something pretty drastic to the controls, and even then you can disable autotrim with the wheel) isn't that far off - I'm trying to translate the tech-speak into as near layman's terms as possible.

LW_50, I think we've discussed handling trim, stick and throttles in our PMs. I'm not insinuating that pilots can't or shouldn't juggle the three controls, but I wonder whether it's not something of an improvement to be able to do it with two (one less thing to concentrate on in a high-stress, high-workload environment).

Still, I note that now we're getting into theories involving computer "glitches" that rapidly oscillate between Normal and Alt Law and cause the computer to trigger overspeed protection, despite there being no evidence of an overspeed warning in the material we have so far...

Seeing as how I've been accused of trying to blame the pilot, being "in love" with the automatics and having "blind faith" in technology by CONF, bearfoil and others over the course of this thread - when none of these things are true - I can't help but feel a little irritated by that. The only reason I'm posting what I am is because the reflexive knee-jerk attempt to blame the aircraft and systems is unfounded (as is any attempt to blame the pilot) until we have all the facts, and for that we have no choice but to wait for the next report, be that final or interim.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 14th Jun 2011 at 12:40.