PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - June 14th: Spanish ATC situation at the European Parliament
Old 14th Jun 2011, 10:01
Daermon ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Singapurcanac: I have read many of your post on those 100 pages about the spanish issue. While I may not agree with you on many of them, I'm not so sure that the current situation can be solved through open market alone as this is more a political issue.

Let me clarify: The ruling government party (PSOE) scored many points with the general public last year for their handling of the ATC situation, specially the closing of Spain's airspace in december. Nevertheless they recieved a month ago the heaviest bashing since democracy in Spain.

Now a few articles have appeared in the news pointing to these massive delays and near misses. There has been even insight into a specific internal document from Aena in which a senior staffmember (don't remember which one) stated literally that they were running out of lame excuses and that there was no way that the truth (that is, lack of controllers) would come out.

These initiatives by AENA (let's not forgett they are 100% state owned... at least for now) are politically motivated to be seen doing something even knowing fully well that it will have no immediate positive impact. There has been also some very sharp provocations against the controllers (including firing someone... you may disagree with me if that person was upholding his duty or breaking it, but consider the timing... I don't believe in coincidences) in order to provoke a reaction and shift the blame to them.

I predict that there will be huge delays this summer and an increase in incidents although a decrease in reported incidents as anything up from 5 miles is no longer considered one.

My personal and dearest recommendation to all pilots who have to fly over/to/from Spain this summer is to take in some extra fuel and patience, readback carefully and watch closely your TCAS.

Does this make spanish controllers idiotic morons unable to cope with their jobs? I would not say as much but you may start the bashing as you see fit. I much rather be the target of your insults than see you as a smoking hole in the ground.