PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Will work for free'
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2002, 12:58
Atropos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The situation now is not dissimilar to that in the early nineties. I qualified just after the Gulf War and had to start an aerial phot company to keep my licence ticking over. To get a job I had to borrow notes, self study for type exams and then spend dosh on a rating. The companies were only interested in type rated pilots. I got a freelance night freight job with the company I paid cash for the type rating (!!!!) £80 per hour and some experience and then got a pax job with a small regional on the same type. That company had 146's so 3 years later with experience on the 146 I got into BA. That all took 6 years from getting my licence. It was hard work, cost money and took time. To anyone lecturing us about not looking after ourselves, you were either sponsored or had a rich daddy to look after you. It was worth it but if I hadn't pushed myself and probably disadvantaged someone else where would I be now.

Don't come down on people trying to look after themselves and don't expect them to sacrifice a potential career for some ideal that it only takes one person to break to be worthless. Good luck to everyone looking for a job, I know how it feels, stick with it, it WILL be worth it in the end.