PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britain's £12bn Overseas Aid Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2011, 06:39
Helen49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I share the concern that foreign aid is so massive at a time of severe financial constraint for many in the UK. Equally I am yet to be convinced about the long term effects of not providing any such aid.

However if we are to continue being so benevolent I would love to know what, if any, checks are made to establish how this aid is actually used.

How do we [the Govt.] ensure that it isn't used merely for the trappings of power, executive aeroplanes and boats, limousines, palaces, etc etc? Is it used to pay for specific economic development projects or is it just handed out in bundles of cash.....rather similar to our domestic social payments, which recipients can then use entirely as they wish rather? Do we provide the aid after these countries have made the investment or is it always up front?

Is the system 'transparent'? Do we provide aid in the form of goods and services so that at least UK residents derive some benefit in the form of employment?

Lots of questions, I know! Not many answers. Just my two penneth......all I can afford!