PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2011, 03:49
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dervish
<<It really does take a special kind of imbecile to come on an aviation forum and openly state he doesn't agree with the need to have airworthy aircraft. >>
I'm not sure that your spin is justified – I am saying that it was demonstrably not the cause of this crash - but no matter, let's press on.
Wow! - then what would you call those who input to a forum on a possible CFIT who do not understand the localised nature of the WX on the Mull on that day?
At the risk of inducing RSI amongst the flock, I'd like to make a suggestion: as you are well placed (location “W. Scotland”?) to be familiar with the WX, would you please be so kind as to describe how such headlands appear from sea with a strong on-shore wind late in the day? (The time of year is right for you to go and have a look.)
You could expect to make out the Mull from some way off but judgement of distance off is difficult, right?
Avoiding it would not be a problem but judging your approach to a spot right on the cliffs would be tricky, wouldn't it?
But if a trusted crewman was relaying distance to go through your head phones, you wouldn't need to creep in over the water, would you?
And if his info was wrong, the HP could so easily be misled.
So please do us all a favour, Dervish, by explaining the problem of visual illusion that the crew most probably had that day caused by that (all too common) localised weather.