PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The flight test book review thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2011, 02:54
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
I am overdue in presenting my review of two more books I have recently enjoyed:

The first is:

"Flight Testing Homebuilt Aircraft" by: Vaughan Askue, 2006, and published by ASA. ISBN# 1-56027-628-2 978-1-56027-628-9

I found this book to be amazing in it's simplicity, yet very effective clarity. It presents the concepts, and relevent elements in a very easy to understand format. It is certainly an easy read, and will be easily understood by any pilot. I would suggest that every pilot should read this book, as it answers some basic questions which come up on PPRuNe from time to time. There is nothing intimidating here.

It covers subjects including:

How to Begin, System Tests, Final Preparations, Taxi Tests, First Flight, Envelope Expansion, Stability, Control, Pitot Static System, Stall Spin Testing, Performance, Engine Cooling, and Conclusion.

There is nearly no math, it's all concepts, and good information which can be practically applied in testing, and any flying anywhere just outside the mainstream of straight and level. The reader will recognize the description of many features we see on aircraft, and come to understand why they are there, and their affect on the flight of the aircraft.

I recommend this book because it can be understood by, and will interest every pilot.