PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your airlines' policy about the use of automation during flight?
Old 13th Jun 2011, 23:53
Mrs-rodge-bless-her

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only learned to fly properly when I was sent to Belgium and flew with ex-Sabena captains, in 8 months I learned how to go from autopilot monkey to being able to fly raw data down to minimums. I fly the 737-8 and every day now, and I feel my skills get better as I strap the aircraft to my back and fly it raw data. (most days) But, the problem lies, that in my opinion, modern commercial pilots are depending on automation too much. Time and time again, I have seen pilots in CAVOK conditions with calm wind keep the autopilot in until minimums, then disconnect and fly the aircraft (badly) down to the runway. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????

I feel that the skills of pilots are degrading due to the amount of automation encompassed within the modern day aircraft. The airlines are also to blame, as recurrent training generally does not include basic instrument flying skills. Initial line training on the aircraft, we are told, engage the autopilot, nail the flight directors, and I feel this is wrong. I've seen experienced captains with thousands of hours, follow the FD's in the wrong direction to the left or right, and descending, when we should be climbing! Very dangerous.

My normal day at work starts during the briefing, when I ask the other guy or girl, do you mind if I hand fly the aircraft up. Usually this is met by hostility, why? The question begs, are pilots afraid to fly?
When it is not met by hostility I explain I will be doing it raw data, with my flight director off. Many people seem shocked and become anxious. But most will allow me to do it, when I explain that if there are any problems or non-normal situations I will engage the autopilot.
I fly the aircraft off the runway, with BOTH flight directors on, as this provides a safety net in case of engine failure. I want to practice my flying skills, but I would like to have guidance or help in an emergency situation.
At 400’ I switch my F/D off and tell the other pilot to keep theirs on. This allows me too quickly to re-engage the autopilot and F/D if we have any problem, allowing the MCP to be still used. Usually at this stage I will fly the aircraft past flight level 100 and put my flight director on and engage the auto pilot before flight level 245. As this is what it states in my operations manual.
During the cruise when I am briefing my approach and arrival I explain, that I will disconnect early again. I disconnect early depending on which airspace we are flying. If it is London TMA, I will leave it later if it is somewhere very quiet like Poland I will disconnect earlier.
Again on disconnecting I will switch off my flight director or both if the other pilot is happy. Raw data ILS or NPA is more difficult in my opinion than the standard departure. So I like to practice this often. I do this almost every day, and feel, that this is making me a better pilot.

Unfortunately everyday line pilots have in my opinion become complacent. The skills are lost due to a reliance on the autopilot and flight director system.
Most pilots I have flown with frown upon manual raw data departures and approaches. This is a mindset that has crept into modern aviation and it in my opinion will cause a human factor accident or incident when the auto pilot and flight director system fails!

As a pilot, ask yourself, would you be able to fly the aircraft raw data should the need arise?

So, I am now currently writing a guide for any other B738 operator on how to fly correctly, and build up to gaining your raw data skills back.

With many guys, it is not that they do not have the skills, but the fact that laziness and being afraid to fly (due to company) has crept in. The key to this is safety, choose your moments, don't be stupid for example flying raw data in a TS!

I am hoping my flight training department will be happy to receive it, but who knows! Gladly my airline allows "manual practice" but surely we are pilots and we should be allowed to fly?

Last edited by john_tullamarine; 14th Jun 2011 at 03:07.