PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA screws the use of GPS approaches
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2011, 23:45
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't EASA just come out and say "we are banning all non commercial IFR flying". That might focus attention on the loss of an important safety aspect to IMC skills.
Well, why limit that to IFR. I have a feeling that their "vision zero" in terms of safety occurrences might well include the scenario where they will ban any and all non commercial aviation, if they thought they could get away with it.

They like any form of democracy as much as Count Dracula liked sunlight.
I read a very interesting book the other day written by a former GDR and Interflug captain. In the days before the fall of the wall, they there could fly only in strictly organized "aeroclubs" or for the military or Interflug. No private aviation at all. I recall from my friends in BG that it was the same thing there, they had a (military) aeroclub plus nothing.

Why do I get the feeling that this is where some folks at EASA would LOVE to go? As it is, they are doing a very good job at it... with the latent insecurity of what they might come up next, they have virtually paralyzed the European GA market to the extent that hardly anyone will take the decision to buy or operate a private plane anymore, out of fear of whatever rug one is standing on being pulled from under them.

Yes, LKPR 1957-1959, LKPM 1959-1969
Might be, IO540, that you'll need to move west again some day if you want to continue flying. The mindset of that age has invaded Europe to an extent I would never have thought possible.

Friend of mine put it that way after a long flight to Asia with a group of private planes:

" The degree of freedom that a country offers it's citizens can to some extent be measured by the distinction whether private aviation is allowed in a country or not. "

A startling but yet true statement. And outright frightening if we see EASA's rampage on our freedom, investment and lives to be only the beginning.