PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlighting Myths!
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2011, 22:56
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I'd guess that either £2k is for your restricted licence (which doesn't inlcude the cross-countries), but it gets you flying - or part of a package with something else. Worked for me once upon a time: I could just afford it, and a year or so later, after building up a little bit of experience my bank balance had recovered and I bought a share and got the cross-country restriction removed.

But even at full price, learning on microlights is noticeably cheaper than flying larger aeroplanes - and probably even cheaper than getting to the same point in gliders.

There are various clubs renting, and the restriction to solo occupancy was lifted a couple of years ago. But yes, you have to hunt around a bit. Historically buying your own aeroplane, or a share, has been the way ahead and without a doubt, it works.

My advice would be get the licence, even if only a restricted licence, and then make a decision about buying outright, buying a share, or renting. The process of learning will clarify things enormously in your mind, and you'll get to a point where you have a good understanding of what you want out of your microlight.

Shares start at about £500, and safe and flyable microlights around £3k these days - it's the cheapest time ever to take up microlight flying. Slower, and draughtier, than just about any other form of flying - and probably more smiles to the pound than any other either. Running costs are probably about fuel + 100%, if you operate from a quiet farmstrips (which is certainly where microlights really belong).

You can spend a great deal more money - but you don't have to. I certainly never have - I fly "group A" for payload and performance, and microlights for fun.

The big decision you do need to make however, is 3-axis versus flexwing. I've roughly equal hours in each, and think they're both great: so I'd just say get an hour or two in each, and make your own mind up.

G