PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2011, 21:58
Lonewolf_50

Received 320 Likes on 204 Posts
For eSpoiler:
I hope this hasnt already been discussed

It has, since about as soon as the ACARS information became available to, (or was leaked to), the public.

In the aftermath of the accident the plethora of automated signals sent from the doomed aircraft were widely publicised. Has this information been compared to the details of the accident released so far and in particular the time line provided by the BEA?
Between the date of release and the day the FDR data began to become available, the ACARS data were dissected minutely on these forums ... three threads in the Tech Log forum, and two in the regular forum (or maybe one got moved to here). Happy reading. I've slogged through it all, over the past year and a half, and while there is a lot of noise, there is also some very useful signal.

Remember: ACARS is a system intended to inform the manitenance shop what things were going wrong while the plane was flying, so they can have repair or replace options ready when the aircraft arrives at the next maintenance facility. The more I learn about it, the more useful I think it is for the paying customers. Faster turn around times and fewer things not working between stops could be a benefit of this system ... except of course for things that require major repair.
In my laypersons opinion, surely a comparison would yield some additional insight into what the pilots experienced and what caused the tragedy.
As noted above, pounded into the pavement. I suggest to you that the BEA are using all of it, and comparing it to what else they know, have found out, or infer.

As an aviation enthusiast and very part time passenger, it boggles my mind that a modern automated aircraft could get stalled at 35 000 ft + and not carry on flying at some point before crashing.
You are not alone. Most pilots are puzzled by that as well ... the search into "what happened?" has filled a whole lot of bandwidth, and many pages on these forums.