PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cosford Air Show
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2011, 21:55
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even the good old British weather can't spoil it.
You must have been at a different Cosford to me then. However with 800` cloudbase, driving rain and crosswinds at 80` from the centreline we got to see far more then I expected. Kudos to the Tutor pilot who was heard on the RT to say "I'm not displaying in this" after take off, and to the Arrows who looked a little bizarre with 8 cabs but nevertheless gave a laudable display in the circumstances. For quite a while I did not expect to see a single aeroplane fly, reminiscent of a Culdrose Air Day a few years ago.

Felt for the Cosford based military staff who largely looked like drowned rats having a miserable day. The choice of music all linked to weather 'Raindrops keep falling on your head" graited a little if I was honest.

Of note is a decline in the number of trade stands in the last few years, and one wonders if trade has been outpriced of their pitch in a manner that effects Waddington traders with outrageous insurance premiums. There was a time when a few book bargains were a dead cert at Cosford.

I was impressed with the service displays inside and most importantly (as I have a son rapidly approaching employment age) no question was too much trouble and honesty as opposed to party rhetoric was given. A balance of good and bad of modern service life is exactly what potential recruits need to be aware of. I was disappointed that in an ATC Cadet 70th Anniversary year there was not a prominent display including Tutor and Vigilant inside a hangar.

There will however be many who regret the expense of the day which was absolutely miserable due to Mother Nature again demonstrating who is boss of this planet, shown to effect by the departing cars at mid-day.