PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to the Isle of Man
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2011, 12:33
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andreas

I have used Andraes for the past five years for the TT and as a stop on the way to the Northwest 200.

The surface is breaking up badly in places so you have to make sure that you dont stop when taxing on the rough areas and only do your run up when on a loose stone free area or on the grass.

Having no one on the radio is not a problem.

To pick a runway to use the wind sock at the far end of the field (not the one by the buildings) is the one to use.

I have had no damage to the aircraft by taking these precautions over the last six visits and the money saved over the landing & parking charges at Ronaldsway are of the magnitude that with two more visits I will have saved the price of a Prop.

The owners of the site know that something has to be done with the site, proposals to put a grass runway along side the hard have been dropped due to the two fold increase in the price of the crops that currently grow on that ground.

The hard runway will require IRO £80K to resurface a strip for light aircraft so you can see why the owners have to make a case for this sort of investment when most of the readers of these forums don't want to part with more that £15 for a landing.