PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Reviews in Africa
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2011, 12:19
9-er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Treat the following with caution:

The Hotel Source Du Nil, Bujumbura - still has its original 70's decor (more creepy than charming), most of the lights in our rooms (we were a crew of 8) did not function, the laundry mislaid a whole set of uniforms, the plumbing was a disgrace (think non-flushing toilets, low water pressure and no hot water) and the one working lift (out of three) was so unreliable, it had to be manned 24 hours by one of the watchmen. The restaurant issued a newly-printed menu every night with three choices of main course only. The food was fairly decent though.

The Imperial Beach Resort, Entebbe - the last time I stayed there was over a year ago, so hopefully the air-conditioning now works, the hot water has been restored and the place has been fumigated for vermin. Believe me, being awoken at 2 a.m. by a gigantic rat scurrying about your room is not a
pleasant experience. Nor is moving rooms so said rat can be dealt with and finding another one in your new room. Some of my colleagues complained of roaches and bedbugs in their rooms.

Hotel Plein Ciel, Djibouti - The sort of establishment where the chap at the reception is smoking a cigarette and chewing a huge wad of miraa as he checks you all in. The soft-drink fridge in the bar is padlocked, and the lady who keeps the only key has an irritating tendency to go AWOL. Wireless Internet transmitters are conspicuously located in all the corridors outside the rooms, but the only place you can pick up a signal is in the lobby.

And some highly recommended ones:
The Birchwood (Johannesburg), Kempinski (Djibouti), Club Du Lac (Bujumbura), Airport View (Entebbe), Royal Palm (Dar), Ambassador (Hargeisa) and Intercontinental (Asmara).

Last edited by 9-er; 13th Jun 2011 at 14:07. Reason: Additional info