PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 All flaps up landing -a question on airmanship
Old 13th Jun 2011, 08:48
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fortunately never had to fly the 737

But in generic terms, and your request re 'Airmanship'. I would suggest that your efforts are best directed at:
  1. Finding the longest into wind runway
  2. Planning the approach and touchdown
  3. Most importantly, detailing the GA (depending on other failures) criteria, and up to what point it can be called, and ensure NHP is prepared to call it - without further failures, I might even "plan" on a "low" GA, and only land if we are both 100% happy.
  4. Most jets, Flapless, will need to come in on a 2.5 slope for speed control, and hardly flared (as above). A good 1.5g+ landing * (which from the back of a 737 seems quite easy to achieve even with flaps ) will do wonders to wipe off some energy.
Get the (ground) speed and point of touchdown right, and the issue of stopping will be relatively minor. Get them "wrong" and it will be academic.

NoD

* Please don't comment on this "maybe requiring a heavy landing check". Even if it does, it will take a fraction of the time sorting the flap problem out, and if you can achieve a "heavy landing" flapless you have done better than I have done/seen in various jets flapless