PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to the Isle of Man
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2011, 07:48
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit off topic, but what exactly is the point of a VFR flight plan when nobody cares, nobody knows you're even coming? Evidenced by the OP about the ATC giving him crap for not calling up earlier. It's obvious that a VFR FPL is as useless as tits on a boar. A radar service is ten times more useful.
Very true

A VFR FP is required when going abroad, and is advisable for S&R purposes if you crash somewhere remote.

That photo doesn't show the huge chunks of loose tarmac all over much of the runway. And the caption

However the runway (11-29) was truly appalling as it comprised of broken up tarmac and was covered with stones some as big as your fist and did not appear to have been swept on any section despite assurances that it would be. As a result the spats on our aircraft were substantially damaged and have had to be removed to be repaired. Other aircraft that flew in seemed to have suffered a similar fate. It would have been cheaper in the end to fly into Ronaldsway.

is really appalling and unfortunately reflects why I am wary going into a lot of places. There seems to be an attitude among some airfield operators that it is a pilot's risk. This is true in practice but not if somebody decides to take it further. If I had a runway and invited a fly-in, I would make sure the runway is suitable, with no loose rubble, potholes, etc.

I am suprised people didn't get prop damage.