PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar crew "drunk with tiredness"
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2011, 23:55
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
For the benefit of HMCClown and anyone else who doesn't understand the trick Jetstar is pulling:

A double bind is an emotionally distressing dilemma in communication in which an individual (or group) receives two or more conflicting messages, in which one message negates the other. This creates a situation in which a successful response to one message results in a failed response to the other (and vice versa), so that the person will be automatically wrong regardless of response. The double bind occurs when the person cannot confront the inherent dilemma, and therefore cannot resolve it or opt out of the situation.

Double bind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...And what Jetstar has done is say:

If a member of our crew is too fatigued then they should not operate the flight and we openly communicate this."
But here is what they are really saying - a classic double bind, from the Jetstar email:

Toughen up princesses!

You aren’t fatigued, you are tired and can’t be bothered going to work.

The hardest thing about doing [flight] JQ117 backed up by the BOC [back of the clock, e.g. from midnight to 6 a.m.] is the time away from the family. There is ample time for rest if you utilize it correctly. I understand this is easy to say but sacrifices have to be made. We are all shift workers and that doesn’t always fit in with normal life. If you became an airline pilot thinking that you will be home every night and not have to fly through the night, then that is pretty naive. Might be time to go instructing. (threat - do you really want to work here?)

Now the powers to that be could have used this as a perfect opportunity to down-size the base, or even close it. (- another threat) But it shows that JQ is committed to the base and want it to work. Having said that, if I was Bruce and a bunch of pilots, who have taken a lot of days off, only fly 60-75 hours a month, started to call in ‘fatigued’ and didn’t want those days to come out of personal leave days, then I would start to look at other options. If flights started to be cancelled, then I would not hesitate in closing the base (-repeated threat) and have all flying done from MEL. Be careful of what you wish for!

....If you honestly believe you can’t operate safely, not just because you feel terrible, then call in UFD [unfit for duty]. But it is UNFIT FOR DUTY! I can’t see how it can not be taken from your personal leave. (- threat, your leave will be docked if you call in fatigued.)

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting...ml#post6355713

I think I know the way this ends. A landing accident due to fatigue, runway excursion, followed by a fire. Those pretty little Asian girls won't be able to cope with the evacuation and a lot of people will die.