PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible to retain a Class 1 after a brain tumour?
Old 12th Jun 2011, 23:52
BWBI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi VFR,

Thanks for the congrats and like you say any flying is better than nothing at all ( especially after my AME told me that I would never fly again! )

I only persisted with the class 2 NPPL Medical ( To be able to take non pilot passengers ) because my Partner flies with me and on occasions my daughter and friends who all know my medical background!

I find most people just want to fly local and overfly their house and not much more so it's no big deal unless you have someone who is especially keen to fly with you regularly.

I still fly solo most of the time and with my Partner to local non stressful airfields or those further away if I know them well where we can either have a meal which is only a Taxi ride away or on occasions even stay overnight for a bottle of wine with the meal! It's just a different type of flying to what I did before and it is surprising what is to be seen only a short distance from some airports even those close to home which I would never have ventured outside in the past!

On occasions I have been approached by people who do not know my medical background who have asked me to take them flying and I find that can be difficult as to what you say to not scare them off totally!

I guess if you asked most folk if they would rather fly with a Pilot who has had a TIA or one with a brain tumor they would probably say the latter! I guess some would say neither but that's down to them! It's all things to think about when you get back flying again?

It sounds like you are doing all the correct things and I am sure if you remain positive with your Consultant and your own Doctor concerning your flying that at the very least you will get the Class 1 NPPL medical. If the very worst happened and a medical was out of the question sort out a QFI to fly with you thus negating the need for a medical. I know several Pilots at my airport who fly out regularly to places for a meal and the older instructors love it and I am sure some Private deal is struck over the finance!

Even if you never make Flying as a living at least you will still have all the support of the "job " behind you which will take some worries away I am sure.

Go well and keep us updated as to how things go as the issues you are facing with your flying could easily apply to any of us, I know Ive got the T shirt!