PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2011, 17:04
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re bear

Hi bear,

Wie gehts? What do you make of the initial STALLSTALL?

At Mach.82, it takes very little NU to produce the (cricketStall)?
I´m not in the know there, but have an oppinion. It was a valid warning, caused by reduced mach to .8, the roll to the right and following correction and the nose up travel of the nose ( note, it is not understandable for me how a crew would have done that amount of NU intentionally, but sure PF had his share in it), mixed with some turbulence. Another reason i think it was valid, the crew honored it with the appropriate ND action.

IF PF input of NU caused the alert, could it in some way be related to an unloading of the a/c such that the ensuing climb was negative "g"? Actual Stall?
It was not negative, but it was less than 1 g.

That would make the climb negative g, and ballistic in character. If g = < 1 wouldn't the PF maintain pull? Likewise, would not the a/c follow his input with THS (Leading Edge) DOWN?
As mentioned, maybe .5-.8 gee, just an unload, and i dont think it would have an immidiate effect. In my F4 it would have to be negative gee to get the nose down, with just an unload to .5 or even 0 gee it would continue on the trajectory until out of speed.

If negative, the pilot would feel a profound "falling" sensation, as would the airframe? Hence his pull throughout in concert with THS TRIM? He had no visual reference, and his instruments would not be helping, "No valid indications". He would not feel deceleration (It would also be felt as -g), and at "over the top" the negative would increase rapidly as the a/c started to "fall" having run out of energy? This could explain his reversal to ND at the top, the additional neg. g he may have taken for the Nose falling through at "Stall".
The NU input during the ascent until the apogee at FL 380 could have another reason. The ND was not working, a method to get the nose down is to roll the AC to the nearest horizon. Dont know the bus, we used (if not stalled yet) to pull the nose to the horizon, otherwise the unloaded ship just floated with the bank. In Alt 2 there is no rudder input together with a roll input, am i correct there? If so, the roll may not have worked as planned with the feet on the floor, our ship would be prone for roll reversal.

Was the game over at a/p loss and first "STALL". This is a heavy a/c with beaucoups energy to sustain a short climb of 3k feet?

For this, the a/c would not have fallen off the Nose, so was the THS stalled, and Center of Gravity aft enough to prevent the Nose from falling through?
Not at the first stall, but when the ship went into the stall regime in an unloaded attitude with the nose up, the chance to recover got minimized. I think it just quit flying at FL 380 when the speed was gone and was picking up descent rate in the same attitude NU as it had gotten to that height. Our F4 would have pitched down due to the heavy nose (i had been there, just let go of all controls and wait till its heading down).

When I trained, we practised "maintaining Stall". Instead of releasing the HS and Pushing, we held it back, sufficient to continue the Stall, the effect was a MUSH, a way to lose gobs of altitude in short order.
An expierience, most nowadays pilots are not granted anymore.

As mentioned, just my thinking out of a lot of practicing of stalls and falls (on the stick and observing / instructing), might well be totally wrong.

So lets wait and see.

Last edited by RetiredF4; 13th Jun 2011 at 10:35.