PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Royal Navy trainers
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2011, 10:58
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
*that's another story involving the venerable Pig (Varsity), RAF Oakington, the mid 70's defence cuts and of course BEagle will remember that debacle fondly!
Yes indeed, old chum - that was another cock-up of impressive proportions!

The worthless piece of junk known as the Scottish Aviation Jetstream T Mk 1 made a brief and expensive appearance at RAF Oakington when you and I were still enjoying life at RAFC. If memory serves, half the course flew the good old Pig, the other half the Jetstream. The Jetstream people hated the thing and it had a design fault (electrically actuated fuel cocks?) which caused a few engines to stop without being so ordered. For some reason, the Jetstream's electrical system used every method of generating electricity known to man short of the Wimshurst Machine and its vagaries could, it seems, cause things to go unexpectedly quiet.

Scottish Aviation denied that there was a problem until they had a double hush whilst doing a compass swing.... But the final straw was a double engine failure on take-off at CFS Little Rissington in Nov 1974, fortunately without fatalities, whereupon the wretched things were taken out of service.

ME flying training continued on the much-loved Pig, until the defence cuts...sorry, 'review', which ordained that ME training was no longer needed, so the Pigs were finally pensioned off 1976. What little ME refresher training was needed was conducted on the Beech Baron with ba at Hamble; other folk flew a few hours on the Andover or, for those who just needed some asymmetric time, on the Canberra T4. All rather ad hoc though.

By the time the RAF started ME flying training again, the Jetstreams had been modified to eliminate the double hush problem and some had been palmed off onto the Navy as the Jetstream T Mk 2 with a radar pimple on the snout (and perhaps a boathook, aldis lamp and big brass bell), to replace the elderly Sea Prince for looker training.

A miserable, poorly harmonised abortion, the Jetstream T Mk 1 was an abysmal contraption. One ETPS preview assessment concluded that the C-130 would make a good lead-in trainer for the Jetstream; perhaps the words of a legendary test pilot should have been included: "Access to the cockpit is difficult; it should be made impossible!".