PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 the big flaw of the UNRELIABLE SPEED/ADR CHECK procedure
Old 12th Jun 2011, 10:42
TyroPicard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB2002
I think it's time somebody tried to answer your question! And perhaps a few others..

LEVEL OFF for trouble shooting

HOW ON EARTH CAN I DO THAT IF I DON'T RELY ON THE DAMNED ALTIMETEEEEEERS???
Without GPS you have to find a way of validating an altitude indication.
The a/c has three ADR's utilising two Static sources, and either an ISIS or Standby Altimeter which use a separate Standby Static source.
Valid altimeter cross-checks:

ADR 1 or 3 (Capt Static) with ADR 2 (F/O Static).
Any ADR with ISIS/Standby Altimeter.

Then you can decide which altitude readout to rely on. If only one of them works... well Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic with only one....

(The QRH also contains ADR 1+2+3 Fault... you turn off all three ADR's and rely on ISIS.)

what the heck is "if safe conduct of the flight is affected"
It's a pilot judgement call ..In jaja's simulator scenario, and in the Type Rating UAS sim session the events occur on take-off so the memory items must be followed because safe flight is obviously affected. Established level flight above MSA would not require actions other than flying level and disengaging AP and A/THR before following the QRH procedure.

They have to enhance the procedure (maybe including more "emergency" pitch-thrust settings: for high level climb, cruise or descend. These are on the tables but not on the memory items.
Memorise those tables? Give us a break.. you should just maintain the pitch and thrust values that you have been monitoring for xx minutes/hours while you
a) arrange a sensible level-off with ATC if required
b) get the thrust/pitch value from the QRH
Remember there is always the SEVERE TURBULENCE table in the QRH which gives a M.76/275/250 N1 for GWT and FL.

jaja
And even more scary, with A/THR engaged, it reduce to idle due to higher speed than targetspeed. (We are not quite sure if this a "simulator thing" that it reduces to idle, can`t find anything about it in the books. Anyone confirm ??)
Seems logical to me - which is why A/THR ... OFF is the second memory item.

I think such a perfectly symmetrical scenario unlikely - but a double bird-strike might do it, and I once hit five lapwings on take-off...

Stuck in an ATR
Setting pitch at ~2.5 deg and thrust of 85% (or the pitch/thrust setting from the QRH), ensures that you are leveled off, or at least close enough for practical purposes and is more important than what the altimiter says. Even if you have one, you should hold the pitch, power, not the altitude...
Wrong - the UAS procedure requires you to fly level, and determine the a/c speed from the pitch attitude. If not the desired speed you adjust thrust until the pitch is correct, then set an estimated correct thrust. You may also find a reliable IAS indication.