PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2011, 06:22
maxrated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A possible solution would be to privatise the CAA's in each country. And run them as company's. Similar to the South African CAA model, but more removed from the politics.

If one could de-politisize these organisations then one may get an organisation that is commercially motivated and not politically motivated.

They would have to be funded by fuel surcharges, over flight fees etc. I know that this increases the costs of aviation in Africa but it may be the price one has to pay for progress.

The handover of power from goverment to privat CAA's would have to happen on a macro political level, as there would be too much temptation for interference by polititians to try keep those fuel surcharges for themselves. Not to mention appointing ones buddies to what would be a potentially lucrative company position.

There would have to be some sort of international oversight body to keep checks and balances in place.

One thing that Africa does not need is simply a blanket implimentation of EASA/JAR ops, like what happend in Kenya recently, which almost legislated general aviation out of existance in that country. Africa has very different needs and abilities compared to Europe and America and any new policy implimentations would have to be sensitive to this.

DRPAM007

The cold war also led to the decimation of the real brains and leaders in the group; K.Nkrumah, P. Lumumba, J.Kenyatta, etc.
Sir, at first I thought that you were joking by posting this statement. Then I realised you believe it to be true, which made me think that you clearly have never visted the country's that were once run by these 3 people.

If you had you would have seen the resulting detritus of these mens political and economic contributions to their countries.

They may have been wiley polititians but I would hestiate to say that they had 'brains' in the sense that you meant it.