PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar crew "drunk with tiredness"
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2011, 02:30
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A thread about, allegedly, fatigue and you spend 2 pages railing against Asian FA pay?

I will give you a hint - these girls are being VERY well paid by the standards of their respective countries. Plus some will be hawking the fork down route and earning a shedload more cash.and some will marry pilots and end up in Australia. And before anyone shouts me down for that last statement its merely a fact. Happens in my airline, happens in CX, EK, Thai etc etc etc.

I pay my Filipino live in maid < 1/3rd what these girls are paid and when she sends 80% of her pay home each month THAT proportion equates to the same pay as a Provincial Court Judge. In just the first several years she worked for me she bought some acres, built a house and stocked it with family and farm animals - all cash. Her biggest fear in life is me leaving and she losing her job.

Wouldn't we love to be earning enough disposable income to pay cash for some acres and build a house after working just 3 years?

They're being paid about the same as FAs the length and breadth of asia..in many cases significantly more. We have Thai, Burmese, Indonesian, Malay, Filipino, Vietnamese girls working the cabin on my airline for probably slightly less money and they are VERY happy with their lot. Great bunch of girls.

You have plenty to be concerned about and PLENTY to be fighting for at JQ - this aint it.

Like JQ if I, and 10s of 1000s of expats/middle and upper class asians, asia wide, were forced to pay what a live in maid cost in Australia, Riz and millions of her sisters would be unemployed instantly. 100s of millions of Pesos would no longer flow back into the PI. 10s of millions of extended family would be impoverished.

Same with the Thai etc girls working JQ asia cabins. They're not 'slaves'. No one press ganged them into a JQA airbus. The competition for those jobs would have been/is FIERCE.

If this was imposed by govt fiat the first people protesting would be the maids and FAs...at their RIGHT to sell their labour at a rate THEY consider fair being taken away.

The carryon on this thread shows you as nothing but ignorant of the world outside Australia...not a good look.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 12th Jun 2011 at 03:03.