PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2011, 19:22
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sax: Gilles Villeneuve features briefly on page 17 when he arrived at the German Grand Prix in 1979 courtesy of G-BCYP which, at the time, was registered to Mann's but which, according to VFR, was used/leased by a chap called Walter the Wolfe! The 206 is of course a 5 seat ship although perhaps Villeneuve went on to charter the 'L' model.

Concorde

On page 32 appear two images of S61's with the Concorde subsequent to my disclosure that I had been searching for an image of a 206 with Concorde somewhere in the frame (and which image I am not even sure exists). The same week as the post on page 32 appeared I received an email from one my aviation photographer friends containing the image below:

Delta Airlines DC8 N8148A departing Heathrow in December 1970 (Photo: M. West)

Now clearly the aircraft is not the Concorde but the photographer did point out that there was a 206 in the shot and perhaps this is as near to the image I was looking for as I will find! My photo-viewing software does not include a programme which allows me to zoom while maintaining pixel integrity so I really can't make out what is written on the 206 but there does seem to be something in the vacinity of where the registration often appears on the tailboom and which leads me to believe that the craft in question just might be G-AVII (the UK's first 206) below:

The UK's first JetRanger G-AVII at Biggin Hill on 11th May 1968 (Photo: John Hamlin)

From what I know AVII (at the time of this photo) had her registration painted on the fuselage around the area of the baggage bay leaving the for'ard section of the tailboom available to display Bristow's then customer - Plessey.

Russian Nostalgia

I have no idea as to whether there are any Russian-speaking followers of The Nostalgia Thread but, if there are, then they may find this of interest:

Part 1 of 6