PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India bashing - gone too far?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2011, 18:40
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks Green Granite. It appears since the advent of TCAS that there have been two midairs in the high flight levels in cruise. Neither would have been prevented by this near continuous scan idea.

I'm not sure how many billions of flights there have been in this time period from when TCAS was introduced to the present day so I can't answer the ridiculous odds question posed by the strange-named one, I should think my statement of the odds being infinitesimal are fairly accurate though.

And as a matter of interest to the statement that more midairs have been prevented than created by this very important scan...Here is a link to a midair between airliners caused by someone taking evasive action in the thought that there was a collision risk(when in fact there wasn't) and ceated a collision.

1965 Carmel mid-air collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Conclusions: Misjudgment of altitude separation by the crew of EA 853 because of an optical illusion created by the up-slope effect of cloud tops resulted in an evasive maneuver and a reactionary evasive maneuver by the TW 42 crew).

Another example of your misinterpretationstatements(which I know you are passing on to your employer) is shown below with your direct response below my statement:

An object on a collision course does not move and at high speeds. Without a contrail, not likely to be seen in day.

All the more reason for a good lookout then. But of course you can see them, I saw dozens today with and without contrails.

You saw dozens of objects on a collision course today? I think not.

And I don't think my sarcasm is lower than your regular insults. It was just to show how a statement you made, once again did not make sense. I await your having to get the last word in again.