PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar crew "drunk with tiredness"
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2011, 18:29
Ushuaia

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Gasbags said:
No one could seriously believe that J*'s "generous allowances" could bump up the annual salary of a Thailand based air hostess by between 4 and 6 times the base rate to get the $20,000 to $30,000 that Bruce Buchanan claims.
I think the article has confused the situation re Thai-based and Singaporean-based crew. In an early para it says:

The Sunday Herald Sun can reveal Thai cabin crew are working in Australia for base salaries of just 14,000 Thai baht or $430 a month, rising up to $30,000 a year with overtime and allowances.
But a later para says:

Australian crew are paid up to $50,000 plus allowances, compared with 14,000 baht ($430) a month for Thai crew plus "generous allowances", and $20,000 a year plus allowances for Singapore-based crew.
So it sounds like there is a range of salaries+allowances depending on whether they are Thailand or Singapore based, the highest being about $30,000. If allowances paid are similar, then that suggests a Singaporean is getting around $30,000 p.a. ($20k base +10k allowances) and perhaps a Thai is getting around $15,000 p.a. (5k base +10k allowances)?

Who knows WHAT the truth really is, other than that is clear AJ and BB are hell-bent on using foreigners to do Australian's jobs for as cheap as they can get. I don't know how these blokes sleep at night.

Where is this country heading if we continue to condone this practice? And I'm not just talking the aviation industry now.