PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings Scheme thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2011, 16:21
flightless_bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTC Wings alternatives

Originally Posted by PILOTPIRX
I am new to the forum and becoming a pilot has not always been my dream. So I am completely new to the topic.
I wanted to ask you few questions in regards.

First of all is CTC Wings the only reasonable training programme? Are there no other places where one could learn how to fly?

My other question is more about the industry - I will be going to my phase 2 and 3 next week. How can I broaden my knowledge about industry?
There are indeed other places where one could learn to fly other than CTC.

There are other integrated course (a course where you basically do all your training at once in one go) providers, perhaps the most well known being Oxford Aviation and Flight Training Europe (although there are others). The advantage with doing one of these courses is that some airlines have relationships with the training providers meaning that it is possible--but not guaranteed--that once you finish you may end up contracting for one of these airlines so it may give you a quick route into the right hand seat of a turboprop or jet. The disadvantage of this route is the cost, circa £100,000 by the time you've funded part of your type rating as well as well as the fact that you miss out on the fun flying (twins around the Scottish Islands etc or instructing).

The other option is the modular route where you can do your training where and when you choose to (and can afford to). This does not preclude you from doing it all in one hit though. It can be done at your nearest flight school, although some are definitely better than others. The advantage of this route is it is much cheaper, circa £40,000. The disadvantage is that once you've finished no one will find you a job but yourself and you certainly will not be able to go straight into the right hand seat of an international carrier.

Have a look on the web and also check out the jobs pages on the airline websites to see what's on offer there. Flybe are reknown for offering good sponsorship deals for future pilots.

With regards to finding out more about the industry, I was going to say read Flight International weekly but given you've only got a week it might be a bit too late. Any other suggestions anyone?...