PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2011, 16:11
HundredPercentPlease

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
bearfoil,

Lex parsimoniae.

The picture is incomplete, but the gist is clear. The a/c did not behave badly, nor unexpectedly. Certainly not according to the report.

1. The PF for some reason nosed up and stalled.

2. In the stall, the corrective response was TOGA + nose up.

The answers as to why 1 and 2 happened are currently simply guesses. The clues will be in the CVR and the traces. I suspect that the answers will be much more "human" than technical - for example if the UAS was interpreted as a windsheer speed loss, then the low altitude response is TOGA + pitch up. That drill is always done at low level in the sim, and it is a regular. You know you are doing it, because it is as bumpy as hell and your speed just vanishes...

If you think that the IAS is erroneous, but you are convinced that you are flying quickly, then the lack of response to TOGA + NU will just be confusing. It's easy for us to say "well you weren't flying quickly, laddy", but if some other clue biased or confirmed his decision, then there was no escape.

The CVR will, as ever, be interesting.

I have said it before, but I'll say it again. More high altitude training is needed, including dealing with serious faults in nasty conditions. It simply isn't done at the moment.