PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SVFR through London CTR
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2002, 00:21
Hippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London CTR Transits.

I'd just like to comment on ATCO Two's comments regarding the lack of knowlege on behalf of PLLs operating from airfields adjacent to the zone. I am just speculating, but I should imagine that QFIs and the like at those airfields will offer advice such as "Follow this path, where lies open FIR & the pilot is King, avoid the East route where ATC own the skies and dragons wait to devour the foolish who may stray from their cleared path". Would you as a CFI say, "Sure, you've got your PPL know, give Heathrow a call and ask for a SVFR clnc, or would you advise to stick to what you know & go round it? The airspace classifications in UK are diverse enough, I would suggest that unless your destination lies within class A, you should, as a VMC PPL avoid it all costs. The zone aint that big after all?
If you must, remain outside the zone, place your request & expect anything & be prepared to comply. No offence to the Heathrow chaps, but I've heard the way they treat Police aircraft who deviate slightly from their clearance & quite rightly too! This is not the place to be mucking around or, if the truth be told, taking a a short cut. The zone is there for a reason, if you don't need to be in it, stay out.

That said, take maximum advantage of the airspace that you may freely float around in, it may be diminishing shortly!

Rgds,
Hippy.

Hippy.