PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brize Norton Repatriation Route
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2011, 12:36
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, girls,

How about we all stop thinking about "us" and worry about "them" instead. The repatriation is for bringing our war dead home to their families in a dignified manner. We (and I mean the general population) see a band wagon driving past and jump on it because it seems like the right thing to do i.e. Be outraged at the route.

I certainly would not want any member of my family being paraded through the streets to appease peoples own guilt and feeling better for 5 minutes. Although the Armed Forces should be recognised for the sacrifice they make they do not need to be driven through the streets of a nearby town. I would want my family member to be home ASAP and with the least amount of fuss. Heroes deserve dignity in death not becoming a public spectacle.

If the outraged population want to show some respect then head to the National Arboretum or raise money for Help for Heroes or something similar. Throwing flowers on a passing can is, in my mind (and it is just my opinion) is pandering to the masses.

Just a thought, but, has anybody asked what the families would like rather than having decisions involving the masses being thrust upon them?

Just my tuppence worth.

HG

Last edited by heights good; 11th Jun 2011 at 18:01.