PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2011, 11:46
Capvermell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antonio V., in charge of the Spanair Base in Madrid at the time of the accident, David T., responsible for Line Maintenance, and S. Alexander, director of quality control at the time of the accident, have all been charged by the judge. They have been ordered to appear before the Judge on 20, 21 and 22 June, along with Jesus T., the Spanair maintenance supervisor who was already charged in the case. (My emphasis).
In England we would normally call these people line managers and not Directors. The Directors are the people on the main board of the company who also usually earn the big bucks.

Spanair seemed to be renowned for having a general high level problem of complacency regarding safety and overall poor management procedures so if there was to be any sense in bringing criminal charges against anyone it ought to be the Chief Executive and any other main board director(s) directly responsible for Operations or Safety of the airline as a whole.

All that the bringing of these criminal charges will do is to make a few sacrificial heads roll whilst allowing the powerful individuals who earn the really big bucks from Spanair and who allowed this culture of corporate safety complacency to prevail to walk away totally scot free.

Unfortunately this Latin predilection for bringing criminal charges over airline crashes will only encourage people to cover up what has really happened rather than be open about it in future incidents so that the root causes can be established and addressed. Criminal charges are in my opinion only effective against the board directors of the company who are usually responsible for things like cutting corners budgetarily on providing enough money for maintenance. To make the guys further down the line responsible for the inevitable consequences of the corner cutting actually initiated by the main board directors is in my opinion quite ridiculous and grossly unjust.