PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to Fix the Qantas International Business
Old 11th Jun 2011, 07:38
hadagutfull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this is just the sort of thread we need.... A chance for staff to show their real worth...

As for some think tank ideas for fixing this airline......

*We are paid X amount of dollars to work for 8 or 10 or 12 hours per day. We should be used for all of that time whether it be looking after Jetstar or any other other operator coming to this country.... there is a cash cow sitting there waiting to be exploited.

*Man all Qantas ports overseas with Qantas staff... also picking up customer contracts in those ports to justify/ cover the expense of having our own staff in low frequency ports. Seems to work for BA/CX/UA around the world.

*Stop feeding our customers to Jetstar... paint some A320,s in our colours and have them connect with our fights through SIN/BKK to service popular SE asian destinations. QF owns 49 percent of Jetstar asia, why are we pumping that airline??

*Build a heavy maint/ eng overhaul facility with grants from the government. This will provide job security and an influx of new recruits to the industry.

*Im not sure of the costs, but the 744 is not a bad aircraft ( running costs aside, and as a short term fleet issue) , but to please the punters a refresh of Y class with a bit more room and a good reliable IFE system will keep them coming back. This needs to be done quick till any fleet renewal options are looked at. Let them see and experience why they are paying extra to travel with Qantas!

*Employ inspirational leaders as managers.. people who are willing to look at any new opportunity with an open mind and embracing staff, not deriding them.

*Bonuses should not go to the managers... it should be distributed amongst all staff who contributed to the result, this would allow less wages claims at EBA time, and it would motivate staff to pull out all stops to achieve a positive result.

*A complete review of current route structures.... we have a very good Qantas GROUP network to asian ports, but its just hopeless from there with LHR/FRA as the only options. Lets take back our bread and butter from Jetstar and keep them out of europe.

**ADVERTISE!!! -- All i see is Jetstar, Emirates, SIA billboards and commercials. Start pushing the product here and abroard...

Open the airline up to the public.... so many people are fascinated with the airline industry, have more open days, aircraft inspections, sim visits, tarmac tours.. let people see what we all do and how we do it. At the moment it resembles a communist gulag... information censoring, lies, cooked books and mistrust.

These are off the top of my head and also based on what I hear from regular passengers... and I can say with out hesitation, most of the people who are forced on to jetstar are not happy about it.....

People are watching QF, they have always had a fascination with it as an iconic company.. and are wanting to support it.. but the management need to come up with something fresh, unique and AUSTRALIAN.

Anything we do to fix this airline will take a significant investment, but it will reap rewards. To do nothing will only end up in a disaster.

No one will win!
I know these are just ideas in these threads... but ideas are where genius starts.