PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your airlines' policy about the use of automation during flight?
Old 11th Jun 2011, 01:15
IFly86N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the automation fails....Old Smokey

So, apart from self satisfaction, why do I still take every chance to hand fly? It's NOT because of possible Automatics failure, considering the mind-boggling redundancy,the chances of being 'down' to raw data are trillions to one against such a possibility. It's because there are still several manoeuvres which still call for the pilot to fly - The Visual Approach, and the Non Precision Approach (NPA). From the Base turn onwards (for the Visual Approach) and from the MDA onwards (for the NPA) manual flight (ideally with the Flight Directors OFF) is still essential! ...
A most excellent statement, Sir! It is most certainly possible for the automation to fail. To wit, last year, on approach into KBWI the MCP (on our B763ER) decided to go on strike. Everything failed: A/T, A/P, FDs, etc.

Guess what? I went immediately back to my Piper/Cessna/B727/B737 days and flew that b*tch, well, like a big ol' Cessna.

At my company, "Click, Click" (at any point from TOD to landing) is not discouraged.

God Bless Mr. Boeing and the wonderful B727! (I'm not biased, am I?)